Monday, April 21, 2014

Tarry in the Lord when You are Greatly Oppressed

Scripture: 1 Samuel 1:15-16
But Hannah replied, "No, my lord, I am a woman oppressed in spirit; I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have poured out my soul before the LORD. "Do not consider your maidservant as a worthless woman, for I have spoken until now out of my great concern and provocation."

Insights: Notice Hannah’s statement to Eli about his misunderstanding of her situation.  In her response she told him that she was a woman oppressed in spirit.  Those four words are huge.  These words help us to understand that Hannah is in a battle within her.  Beloved, you have an enemy and his name is Satan.  He has come to steal, kill and destroy your life.  He hates you with every fiber of his being and he hates God even more.  If you have received the free gift of salvation found in Jesus, then Satan truly is volatile toward your life.  One of the ways Satan oppresses our spirit is to get us doubting the goodness of God.  He will tell us lies about God’s faithfulness.  He will tell us God can’t be trusted and He will let us down.  Satan is relentless in his attacks on us and even more so when we are in distress.  It is from this standpoint that Hannah declares she is oppressed in spirit.  Beloved, here is the truth.  God can be trusted.  God is always faithful.  God does want to deliver you.  God does love you.  So, when we find ourselves being assaulted by Satan’s oppressive words, we need to wait on the Lord to prove Himself faithful to us.  He will always be victorious.  All we have to do is trust and wait on Him.  It is the best decision we can ever make.

Questions:
  1. Are you waiting on the Lord in the midst of your oppression?
  2. Are you succumbing to the lies of Satan about the Lord?

Prayer: Father, Satan is crafty and sometimes I falter and buy into his lies.  Lord, forgive me when I do and give me the courage to fight him and to wait on You to be my true deliverer.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment