Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Act on the Promises of God

Scripture: Joshua 14:10-12b
"Now behold, the LORD has let me live, just as He spoke, these forty-five years, from the time that the LORD spoke this word to Moses, when Israel walked in the wilderness; and now behold, I am eighty-five years old today. "I am still as strong today as I was in the day Moses sent me; as my strength was then, so my strength is now, for war and for going out and coming in. "Now then, give me this hill country about which the LORD spoke on that day, for you heard on that day that Anakim were there, with great fortified cities

Insights: Notice in today’s verses that Caleb shifts gears.  In the previous verses he was reminding God and Joshua of the Lord’s promises.  He then starts this next section with the word, “now.”  In other words, now that Caleb, Joshua and the Lord have all been reminded of the promises of the past, they are supposed to respond.  Action is what is being demanded of Caleb and he is ready of the challenge.  Something else I want you to notice about Caleb’s zeal for the advancement of the land is that it was not hindered by the obstacles in front of him.  Notice the verses inform us that the Anakim were living in fortified cities in this hill country Caleb is about to attack.  Anakim were giants.  Beloved, this makes me wonder what kind of giants are you facing today.  What hill are you supposed to possess for the Lord today?  At the end of the day, what is being requested and required of us is obedient action to the Lord’s commands.  Yesterday we learned that Jesus promised to be with us always.  You will also recall that I mentioned in the context of that particular passage it was dependent upon our going and making disciples.  This going is that action of faith which is being communicated today.  We were not saved to sit in pews and feel good.  We were saved to advance the land for the kingdom of Christ Jesus.  We were called to slay giants in our lives and to rescue the perishing.  We must get past ourselves and learn to see the world as Jesus sees it and have an increased burden for the lost.  I pray and hope that this week you will share the love of Jesus with those around.  Invite a coworker to church with you this week.  Tell a neighbor about the love of Jesus.  Perform an act of kindness for a stranger and let them know the Lord is the One who prompted you to display grace.  Bring the Lord glory today!

Questions:
  1. Are you obeying the Lord and His commands for your life?
  2. When was the last time you had the privilege of leading someone to the Lord Jesus Christ?

Prayer: Father, forgive me for the times that I have been unfaithful and not bold in my proclamation of the gospel.  Increase my burden and passion for the lost people of this world.  Help me to see them as You see them.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment