Monday, April 7, 2014

How Do You See Yourself


Scripture: Judges 6:11-12

Then the angel of the LORD came and sat under the oak that was in Ophrah, which belonged to Joash the Abiezrite as his son Gideon was beating out wheat in the wine press in order to save it from the Midianites. The angel of the LORD appeared to him and said to him, "The LORD is with you, O valiant warrior."

 

Insights: In today’s verses we find Gideon hiding in a wine press threshing wheat.  The reason he is there is because the Midianites keep raiding the land and stealing the food.  As a result, he is attempting to gather up enough food for himself and his family before the raiding party comes back.  I want you to notice, however, how God sees this insignificant man who is cowering away in a hidden location from the enemy.  God calls him a valiant warrior!  Beloved, I believe the Lord is still calling His children valiant warriors.  I think all too often we see ourselves as Gideon saw himself; and as a result, we hide and cower away somewhere and are ineffectual for the kingdom of God.  As we proceed through this week we are going to learn that Gideon’s strength and his ability to be a valiant warrior is not because of himself, but because the Lord God is with him.  This same reality holds true for us as well today.  If we are truly born again and the Spirit of the Lord dwells with us, then we are able to be more than conquerors for His kingdom.  We are able to take the spiritual land before us and lead many to the saving knowledge and relationship found in Jesus Christ.  It is my prayer that you see yourself as the Lord sees you.  He sees a valiant warrior who is His child.  He sees a prince or a princess in His royal court.  He sees a coheir with His Son, Jesus.  He sees a champion for the cause of Christ.  Live boldly this day in the truth of who you are in Jesus!

 

Questions:

  1. How do you see yourself?
  2. How do you think the Lord sees you?

Prayer: Father, I am so often afraid of my own shadow and do not believe I can accomplish great task for You.  I also know I can’t do anything without You and Your presence.  Strengthen my heart Lord Jesus to believe what You believe about me and let me walk in Your power and might.  I desire to be a valiant warrior for You.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment