Tuesday, May 24, 2016

We Often Times Put Ourselves in Difficult Situations

Photo by Bill Strain
Scripture: Hosea 1:2-3
When the Lord first spoke through Hosea, the Lord said to Hosea, “Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry and have children of harlotry; for the land commits flagrant harlotry, forsaking the Lord.”  So he went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.

Insights: I understand Hosea was walking in obedience to the Lord when he found himself in a very difficult situation.  I would conjecture there are times in which we find ourselves in difficult situations because the Lord has commissioned us to a hard assignment.  Most of the time, however, I would state we find ourselves in difficult situations because of our own sinfulness.  1 Corinthians 15:33 states, “Do not be deceived: ‘Bad company corrupts good morals.’”  We more often than not find ourselves in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people.  We then wonder, “How did I get here?”  I would tell you it was because you choose the wrong “friends” and went to the wrong place and you stayed later than you ought to have.  I would give you the warning it all started with choosing your friends wisely.  I put the word friends in quotes earlier because those “friends” who lead you into the wrong places at the wrong times are not really your friends.  They are users.  They use you for your resources and when you are depleted, they dump you like dead weight and move on to their next “friend” with resources.  Do not fall prey to their deception.  Rather, walk valiantly with the Lord and let Him determine who your friends will be in your life.  Avoid difficult situations of your own making.  Rather enter the difficult situations only as the Lord prompts, just like Hosea.  You will be blessed if you heed this warning.  I pray you will.

Questions:
1. As you reflect on you life, can you recall times in which you put yourself in a difficult situation?
2. What lesson or lessons did you learn from this situation?

Prayer: Father, all too often I find myself in difficult situations of my own making.  Grant me wisdom to avoid such foolishness and let me walk in the grace of Your love and light.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  If you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to live your thoughts.   Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment