Thursday, May 5, 2016

Dream Again

Photo by andrea.pacelli
Last night I had the strangest dream.  My wife and I along with a few other people were working undercover in the midst of a gangster gathering.  We were discovered, but they had not as of yet revealed we were in deep weeds.  Dreams are amazing, and by the way, I am no longer writing about dreams we have while sleeping.  I am now talking about dreams that take us to a desired location or end.

Robert D. Dale wrote a book years ago for the church called Dream Again.  His premise was when a church lost its dream, it would eventually die.  In many ways, the dream is they why with which I wrote about yesterday.  As a people we need something bigger than ourselves to push us forward.  We need some kind of intrinsic motivation which is often driven by an extrinsic goal or dream.

I have shared with FBC Bowling Green a dream, goal or challenge to increase our attendance by sixty people by September.  If we, as a church, will grab hold of this dream, we will be able to accomplish it.  If we don’t, however, then no matter what we say or do, nothing will motivate us to reach this dream, goal or challenge.

I want to ask you, especially if you are a member of FBC Bowling Green, what would be the why for you to personally get on board with this dream of increasing our average attendance by sixty before September?

Let me list a few of my why’s and maybe it will strike a cord with you.  In recent days I have written about the Law of the Big Mo found in John Maxwell’s 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership.  A quick increase in numbers like the kind I am writing about here generate momentum.  Often times an organization has gotten stuck and it needs a shot in the arm to boost its energy and commitment.  Momentum in an organization can stimulate this result.

Also, I know if we are going to reach our next biggest hurdle as a church which is hiring additional full time staff then we are going to need to have momentum, money and memberships.  If we as a church are going to reach some of our long term future goals, we are going to need additional staff.  Many of you want to move forward with this staff hire, but we are not in a realistic position to do so at this time.  With a momentum shift, we would be.

Focus is the final why I wish to address.  All too often our focus gets pulled a hundred different directions.  When we have a strong enough why, however, we are able to have laser like focus.  Think about a laser for just a moment.  All a laser is is light.  Light does not hurt you, but if you focus this light into a laser beam it will cut through metal.  It becomes very powerful.  Over these next few months, let us become incredibly focused and reach our dream.  Let us move on to our next big goals.

What is your why?  Write a comment on Facebook below this post, especially if you are member of FBC Bowling Green and let us know why you would like to see us reach this dream by September.  Tell us your why for getting laser like focused with reaching this goal.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your comments about why you put this goal before us. I certainly am one that would desire for us to have another full time staff member at our church. Leading others to decide to buy in to a goal can be difficult to say the least. I think we need to know that the goal is not just about building the roll and counting heads for the sake of counting.
    After reading the copy of "Born to Reproduce" by Dawson Troutman that you passed on to me, my paraphrased question to myself and others in our pews that was posed is "Where is our (my) woman, man, boy, or girl that God wants us (me) to grow for the Lord into another reproducer for the glory of His Kingdom?"
    According to Troutman, if we are saved but not producing, then something's wrong! He said to consider three other questions.
    Do we (I) have a close, daily fellowship with Christ?
    Is there some unconfessed sin or stronghold stopping the flow?
    Or is it that we are still babies ourselves who need someone to teach/ lead us again in the ways of reproduction?

    What kind of growth do we want?

    ReplyDelete