Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Godly Attributes of Prayer and Tenderness

Photo by Mike Wicklein
Scripture: 1 Timothy 1:3c-4a
as I constantly remember you in my prayers night and day, longing to see you, even as I recall your tears,

Insights: The third implied attribute of a godly mother is that of prayer.  Notice Paul prays for Timothy night and day.  I can think of no greater prayer warrior than a godly mother praying for her children and grandchildren.  There is something incredibly powerful and refreshing to see God’s loved displayed through a praying parent or grandparent.  The fourth implied attribute of a godly mother is that of tenderness.  When I was a child and fell down, to whom did I run?  My father or mother?  More often than not, my mother.  When I did something wrong and needed to confess, to whom did I turn?  Again, more often than not, my mother.  When I had my feelings hurt because my older brothers had picked on me, to whom did I tattle?  Again, more often than not, my mother.  Why did I turn to her so much of the time when it came to the pains of my life?  The answer is simply that she was more tender and compassionate than my father or anyone else in the world when it came to my pain.  I think it is for this reason God portrays His love as a mother and a hen tender to her chicks.  God wants us to understand He is tender and compassionate far more than any earthly mother would or ever could be.  Beloved, let me challenge all of you, not just mothers, to be more intentional about praying for other people.  Let me also challenge you to be more intentional about displaying tenderness to those who are broken and in need of a healing hand of grace.  May our prayers and tenderness bring God’s glory as He manifests himself in our lives.  To God be the glory!

Questions:
1. How often do you pray for your children and loved ones?
2. In what ways do you help bind up the broken hearted with your tenderness?

Prayer: Father, protect my family and lead them in the paths of righteousness.  Help my heart to truly be tender toward them and may I display Your grace in their lives.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment