Monday, January 2, 2017

We are Always Called

Photo by it is elisa
Scripture: Matthew 28:16
But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated.

Insights: Today is the first blog of 2017.  Transitions from one year to the next always bring with it excitement and anticipation.  It also allows us to reflect and ponder over the previous year.  I titled this weeks sermon What Will You Do with Jesus in 2017? I opened the sermon with a brief reflection on John 14:15 and 15:8.  John 14:15 states, “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments” and John 15:8 instructs, “This is to my Fathers glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”  So, if we love God, we will obey Him.  If we obey Him, then we will bear much fruit, showing ourselves to be His disciples.  What is one area in which the Lord has commanded us?  The answer would be in evangelism as He commissioned us to go and make disciples of all nations.  As a result, we looked at the Great Commission for our sermon and learned five truths from that passage.  Today, we quickly summarize the first truth we learned.  Notice in today’s verse it states the disciples went to the mountain Jesus had designated.  In other words, Jesus called them to a very specific location for His ascension.  In the same way Jesus called His disciples to a specific mountain, so, Jesus calls us to specific tasks.  For that matter Jesus calls us to a relationship with Him as well.  The point I am trying to emphasis is Jesus is always about calling us.  In this context, Jesus called them to a specific location.  While at this specific location He was going to call them to a specific assignment.  We will look at that assignment later this week.  In my life, Jesus called me to FBC Bowling Green to pastor this wonderful congregation.  Jesus called me to adopt my three precious daughters.  Jesus called me to share the gospel with others.  Jesus calls you to places, service and other things as well.  Jesus’ calling on our lives is a constant.  It is my prayer you will heed His calling on your life.

Questions:
 1. Have you recognized the various calls the Lord God has placed on your life?
 2. Does God’s calling give you comfort or reservation?

Prayer: Father, I am grateful You call me to a relationship with You and to service to You as well.  At the same time, however, this call scares me at times.  May I learn to walk in Your strength to face all assignments in which You have called me to participate.  Amen.



If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment