Tuesday, January 10, 2017

We are Resoundingly Commissioned

Photo by Cushing Memorial Library 
This blog ought to have been January 5, 2017

Scripture: Matthew 28:19-20a
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you

Insights: In today’s verse we see what is known as the Great Commission.  In this verse Jesus tells all of us who have been born again that we are to GO and make disciples of all nations.  As we are making disciples out of them, we are to have them undergo baptism, which is a symbolic act picturing what has happened in the heart of this new believer.  It declares to a world that your old nature has died and been buried.  You now come out of the water new and resurrected in Jesus.  In this resurrection you have new life.  All for the glory of God.  Notice with me, however, we don’t just stop after the person has gotten wet in the baptismal waters.  We go on further and teach them to observe or obey everything Jesus has taught us.  There is another aspect to this commission I want you to notice as well.  Did you notice to what people group Jesus was sending us?  We are to go to all the nations.  Jesus’ message of life and hope is for everyone.  Beloved, all too often we, especially in the church of the United States, do not obey this commission given by the Lord Jesus.  We do not share our faith on a regular basis.  Our actions are in essence telling lost people we don’t care if they go to hell.  We are too busy to be bothered by them and all their junk.  It is my prayer that in 2017 I become a more evangelistic and disciple-making follower of Jesus.  It is my prayer FBC Bowling Green also becomes more committed to this commission.  It is further my prayer that the rest of Christendom would also be more zealous for our Lord.

Questions:
 1. Are you obediently following your commission from the Lord?
 2. Why do you think it is so difficult for the majority of professing Christians in the United States to share their faith?

Prayer: Father, I am a man with unclean lips and I dwell with a people with unclean lips.  All too often I chose to follow them instead of You.  Forgive me for defiling my lips with the conduct of this world and strengthen me to boldly proclaim Your love to a world in need of a Savior. Amen.



If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment