Monday, June 27, 2016

Recognize the Situation

Photo by drburtoni
Scripture: Hosea 3:1
Then the Lord said to me, “Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the Lord loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes.”

Insights: In this first verse of chapter three we find the current situation of both Gomer and Israel.  Both have played the part of a harlot.  It is absolutely vital we take a clear assessment of our condition and diagnose the problem properly.  One of Satan’s methods of attacks is to distract us so much with the things of this world that we forget we are truly in a spiritual battle.  We see this played out all the way back in the Garden with Adam and Eve.  Satan gets Eve to question the goodness of God and His faithful provision.  Because she gets side tracked from the truth, she stumbles and falls into sin.  Granted her fall is a willful and intentional fall, but it was because she took her eyes off of the prize, which is the Lord God.  All too often I find myself playing the part of the harlot in regards to my relationship with the Lord.  As soon as I am confronted with my sin, I repent and turn back to Him.  This pattern is what the Lord requires of us all.  The better pattern would be to not get our eyes off of Jesus from the beginning.  How much better would our lives truly be if we authentically kept Christ on the throne of our hearts?  The answer would be immensely better.  My fear for the modern day church is that we are just like Israel.  We attend church and give God our head nod, but then we go to the gods of this world and give them our raisin cakes.  We give our jobs first priority over the Lord.  We give our recreation first priority over the Lord.  We give our children first priority over the Lord.  We give our desire for toys and luxuries over the Lord.  It is my prayer we would truly recognize our situation and keep our hearts tenderly knit to the Lord our God.

Questions:
1. As you examine your life, what is your current situation?
2. Have you made the connecting points that all of life is a mask for the spiritual battle with which we are participants?

Prayer: Father, I have so often played the part of the harlot.  Please Lord, protect me from myself and let my life truly be a tribute to You and Your glory.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment