Thursday, June 2, 2016

In War, Some People Lose Heart

Photo by Jessica
Scripture: 1 Samuel 31:7
When the men of Israel who were on the other side of the valley, with those who were beyond the Jordan, saw that the men of Israel had fled and that Saul and his sons were dead, they abandoned the cities and fled; then the Philistines came and lived in them.

Insights: Today’s verse is a very sad verse.  The men of Israel left their homes and cities.  They abandoned them and the Philistines came in and possessed the Israelite lands.  What happened that caused this horrific result to be experienced by the children of Israel?  It is my opinion that they lost heart.  They became afraid of the Philistine army after hearing about the death of Saul, his sons and the troops.  There have been many over the course of history who have lost heart and abandoned their position and fled from war.  The same is true in the spiritual war we battle.  I do not have a machine that allows me to look into a persons heart to determine if Jesus is really residing in their hearts, but there is an old adage which I believe is true.  Joel Gregory was the first one who I heard state it.  It went like this: Faith that Falters was Flawed from the First.  In other words, if one losses heart and turns from their faith, then they were never really saved at the beginning.  Now, understand, I am not talking about losing battles in the great cosmic war.  There are times in which I knew the Father was wanting me to do something and I refused do so because of fear.  Later on, however, I was convicted of my sinful disobedience and I repented.  Then the next time a similar situation occurred, I was able to stand strong and not lose heart.  What I am referencing when I speak of this old adage is those who have lost heart and turned from their faith.  In other words, they abandoned their cities and allowed Satan to take them over and reside in them instead of the people.  These type of people that lose heart this way, I question the fruit of their “conversion”.  Beloved, it is my prayer you do not lose heart, but that you turn to the Lord and let Him strengthen your resolve.

Questions:
1. Have you lost heart?
2. What do you think would be required to strengthen your resolve?

Prayer: Father, forgive me for the times I lose heart.  I do not wish to live a cowardly life, but so often I find myself running from the enemy and away from You.  Strengthen my heart and let me feel the fear, but walk valiantly toward You.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  If you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to live your thoughts.   Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment