Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Characteristic #2 of REAL Worshippers Motivated by Love is Commitment

Scripture: Ruth 4:5-10
Then Boaz said, “On the day you buy the field from the hand of Naomi, you must also acquire Ruth the Moabitess, the widow of the deceased, in order to raise up the name of the deceased on his inheritance.”  The closest relative said, “I cannot redeem it for myself, because I would jeopardize my own inheritance. Redeem it for yourself; you may have my right of redemption, for I cannot redeem it.”  Now this was the custom in former times in Israel concerning the redemption and the exchange of land to confirm any matter: a man removed his sandal and gave it to another; and this was the manner of attestation in Israel.  So the closest relative said to Boaz, “Buy it for yourself.” And he removed his sandal.  Then Boaz said to the elders and all the people, “You are witnesses today that I have bought from the hand of Naomi all that belonged to Elimelech and all that belonged to Chilion and Mahlon.  “Moreover, I have acquired Ruth the Moabitess, the widow of Mahlon, to be my wife in order to raise up the name of the deceased on his inheritance, so that the name of the deceased will not be cut off from his brothers or from the court of his birth place; you are witnesses today.”

Insights: The second characteristic of a real worshipper motivated by love is commitment.  In our passage today we see the closer kinsman-redeemer is unwilling to commit to the task of marrying Ruth.  Boaz, on the other hand, is more than willing to commit to such a life change.  Let me be a little transparent at this point.  I, whether I ought to or not, often times, relate lack of commitment to laziness.  If there is anything my parents did right it was to teach me the value of hard work.  Laziness is a major source of irritation for me and one in which I often have to go to Jesus to help me show grace.  I share this little rant because commitment is something I fear is waining in the church today.  People approach church life as a country club (for further information about this idea, please read Thom Rainer’s book I Am A Church Member).  As a result, they often times do not serve in any capacity, but are upset when things do not go the way they wish they would.  These individuals then move into the complainer category.  The best solution for this mindset is to commit to serve in the local church.  When you are working hard, you are too busy to get sidetracked by the negativity of the uncommitted.  Let me encourage you to serve valiantly for the Lord.

Questions:
1.  Are you committed to following hard after Jesus?
2.  Is there any possible reason you could give that would validate non-commitment to the Lord?


Prayer: Father, You gave Your everything for me, how could I possibly not commit to You.  Forgive me in my failings of the past and strengthen me to be faithful in my future obedience.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment