Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Love is Perceptive of Others

Scripture: Ruth 2:4-7
Now behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem and said to the reapers, “May the Lord be with you.” And they said to him, “May the Lord bless you.”  Then Boaz said to his servant who was in charge of the reapers, “Whose young woman is this?”  The servant in charge of the reapers replied, “She is the young Moabite woman who returned with Naomi from the land of Moab.  “And she said, ‘Please let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves.’ Thus she came and has remained from the morning until now; she has been sitting in the house for a little while.”

Insights:  I love this portion of the passage.  Boaz the CEO comes and does a walk-a-bout with his employees.  He comes to his operations manager and is shooting the breeze about the daily activities.  He looks up and a notices a lady sitting in the break room and interrupts his managers report and asks, “Who is that young woman over there in the corner?”  Now, what we don’t know is if there were other sojourners in the room or other poor people from town or if it was just Ruth.  Whatever the situation, however, Boaz’ perception is specifically drawn to her and his interest is peaked.  The operations manager gives him the run down on who she is and what her work ethic had been that morning.  Beloved, people who are real worshippers of God have such a relationship with the Father they are pliable in His hands.  He prompts their hearts and He guides their eyes to notice other people and their needs.  For some people this comes as naturally as breathing.  For others, however, it is an area in which the Holy Spirit must continually work on the individuals visual perceptions.  Unfortunately, I fall in this later category, but even a few weeks ago, I was at a gas station and noticed this man who obviously was in need.  He was not in need of food or clothing.  In fact he was dressed very well, but as he stood there, I could tell he was needing something.  Normally, I would walk past a person like this and “not” notice them.  On this day, however, the Holy Spirit told me to say hello.  I ended up giving him a ride to the bank and I was late to my appointment.  The Lord was trying to teach me to be perceptive of other people and their needs.  I am grateful the Lord does not give up on me and continues to work on my heart.  May He continue to work on yours as well.

Questions:
1.  Would you describe your personality as one which is perceptive of other people and their needs or are you oblivious to them?
2.  If you are typically not perceptive of others, what might you do to become more intentional about noticing other people?


Prayer: Father, You are intimately concerned for all of Your creation.  Help me to love and have a burden for them as You stir my heart.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment