Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Love is Encouraged

Scripture: Ruth 3:9-13
He said, “Who are you?” And she answered, “I am Ruth your maid. So spread your covering over your maid, for you are a close relative.” Then he said, “May you be blessed of the Lord, my daughter. You have shown your last kindness to be better than the first by not going after young men, whether poor or rich. Now, my daughter, do not fear. I will do for you whatever you ask, for all my people in the city know that you are a woman of excellence. Now it is true I am a close relative; however, there is a relative closer than I. Remain this night, and when morning comes, if he will redeem you, good; let him redeem you. But if he does not wish to redeem you, then I will redeem you, as the Lord lives. Lie down until morning.”

Insights: Ruth took a great risk when she took her mother-in-laws advice and went to Boaz at night.  She face potential scandal and major repercussions if things had turned out differently.  As a result of all that was at stack, Ruth was definitely one in need of encouragement.  Boaz gave her this encouragement when he spoke kindly to her, praised her for the choice she had made, and promised to take care of her in the morning.  Beloved, in the world in which we live, I believe this subject of encouragement is one of the most needed in the church today.  People are stressed like at no other time in my life.  The pressures and speed of life have picked up rapidly as the decades have rolled on through to the present day.  People face words of criticism at work, at home, at church, and countless other places.  People are literally shriveling up from the oppression of negativity and frustrations of life.  It is because of this reality, as I see it, that I believe the church needs to be a beacon of hope and positive encouragement.  People need to know there is a future and a hope for them.  Ultimately for those of us in Christ Jesus, our hope is in heaven.  Yet, while we traverse this world, we still can have hope Jesus is walking with us through the good times and the bad.  As a result, we ought to be intentional about sharing hope with others.  We need to tell them life is going to get better and tell them to trust in Jesus.  It is my prayer you become a great encourager of others in this world.

Questions:
  1. Will you be willing to encourage someone today?
  2. In what ways have you been encouraged lately?
Prayer: Father, I am not always the best at recognizing those who are in need of encouragement.  Help me to see them with Your eyes and then grant me Your words to speak hope and life into their lives.  As a result may we all be more encouraged in the days of uncertainty to remain faithful to You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment