Thursday, December 17, 2015

Love Waits Patiently

Scripture: Ruth 3:14-18
So she lay at his feet until morning and rose before one could recognize another; and he said, “Let it not be known that the woman came to the threshing floor.”  Again he said, “Give me the cloak that is on you and hold it.” So she held it, and he measured six measures of barley and laid it on her. Then she went into the city.  When she came to her mother-in-law, she said, “How did it go, my daughter?” And she told her all that the man had done for her.  She said, “These six measures of barley he gave to me, for he said, ‘Do not go to your mother-in-law empty-handed.’” Then she said, “Wait, my daughter, until you know how the matter turns out; for the man will not rest until he has settled it today.”

Insights: The final way to walk through the uncertainties of life is to wait patiently on the Lord to work in midst of your situation.  As soon as I write those words, you may be one who has been told, “Don’t ask the Lord for patience.”  The reason people make this kind of statement is because there is only one way the Lord teaches us patience and that is by taking us through life situations that require us to display patience.  In other words, trials and tests.  Yet, we as believers do need to learn this very important spiritual discipline.  In today’s verses we see Ruth and Naomi waiting at home with great anticipation for Boaz to go and setting the matter of kinsman redeemer.  I can only imagine the anxious atmosphere of their home that day, but I know of other situations in my own life that help me to relate in a small way.  Beloved, the reality is we all face these difficult circumstances we have written about this week.  Good or bad, the lessons of patience we learn in these situations are not always fun, but very valuable.  The key to learning these lessons quickly is maintained intimacy with the Lord.  Seek Him daily in His Word, the Bible.  Pray to Him every time you feel anxious.  Worship Him in song and other ways to take your focus off of your circumstance and on to Him who can fix your problem.  In all of it ask Him for wisdom and discernment and the wait.  It will not be easy, but don’t rush Him, trust Him and be amazed at His grace.

Questions:
  1. Do you find it difficult to wait patiently on the Lord to work in the midst of your circumstances?
  2. Have you learned the importance of prayer during the times of waiting on the Lord?


Prayer: Father, I am not a patient person, but You have worked in my life over the years and I am better today at waiting because of Your grace.  Lord, continue, please, to dispense Your mercy on my life as I learn to wait patiently on You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment