Wednesday, August 13, 2014

We Feel Convicted

Scripture: Jeremiah 20:9
But if I say, “I will not remember Him
Or speak anymore in His name,”
Then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire
Shut up in my bones;
And I am weary of holding it in,
And I cannot endure it.

Insights: The first word is a powerful three letter word, “BUT!”  In other words, Jeremiah had felt as if God had abandoned him and the commission he had been given was too hard.  When you come to today’s verse, however, you see Jeremiah say, “But.”  God began to convict his heart and he came to the realization that if he did not speak and obey the Lord’s commands that it would kill him from the inside out.  Beloved, we all experience conviction in our lives if we are a child of the King.  Let me caution you, however, if you are being told by the Lord to do something, then you had better do it.  if you do not, you will experience the same kind of conviction that Jeremiah felt and it he thought he would die.  Now please do not misconstrue my words.  God is not some capricious god in heaven who sits there and waits for opportunities to cause pain and suffering on his children for their every act of disobedience.  God’s convicting presence is always restorative in nature.  He desires to have the best possible relationship with Jeremiah and He knows the best ways for this to occur is through obedience.  The Lord, therefore, places such an intense burden on him that he could not help but speak for Him.  May the Lord receive glory, praise and honor as a result of our obedience to His commission and conviction in our lives.

Questions:
1.  Are you presently feeling the Lord’s conviction in your life?
2.  How are you going to respond to His presence and love?

Prayer: Father, thank You for convicting my heart.  Thank You that You never abandon me and for always drawing on my heart to return to You.  Your compassion and love are overwhelming.  May I never take for granted Your grace. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment