Thursday, January 3, 2013

What Saints have Learned about Contentment - External Support


Scripture: Philippians 4:13-19
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction. You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account. But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God.  And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Insights: Verse fourteen through eighteen in today’s verses deal with the assistance the church of Philippi gave to Paul.  This act of service is the second aspect of what saints have learned about contentment.  When we spend our lives in the service of others, we experience contentment.  The reason behind this is because we become a fragrant aroma and an acceptable sacrifice to God and He is well-pleased with us.  When He is well pleased, he supplies all of our needs and in the provision we experience contentment.  Now, please notice with me, God supplies our needs, not our wants.  We often times confuse our wants with our needs and when that happens we fall prey to the very things that steal contentment from the lost world—poverty and prosperity.  So, Beloved, ask for the Lord to open your eyes to the world around you.  Ask Him to let you see it as He does.  Then, begin to invest in those around you.  Serve those around you.  Become a blessing to those around you.  As you do, you will experience the joy of true contentment.

Questions:
  1. In whose life are you investing?
  2. Have you learned the secret of contentment as you serve others?
Prayer: Father, open my eyes to the needs around me.  Help me to see as You see the world.  Grow me in Your Son and help my life be a fragrant aroma to those around me.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment