Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Preview of the Book


Scripture: Nehemiah 1:3-4, 2:13-14, 16
They said to me, "The remnant there in the province who survived the captivity are in great distress and reproach, and the wall of Jerusalem is broken down and its gates are burned with fire." When I heard these words, I sat down and wept and mourned for days; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven….So I went out at night by the Valley Gate in the direction of the Dragon's Well and on to the Refuse Gate, inspecting the walls of Jerusalem which were broken down and its gates which were consumed by fire. Then I passed on to the Fountain Gate and the King's Pool, but there was no place for my mount to pass….The officials did not know where I had gone or what I had done; nor had I as yet told the Jews, the priests, the nobles, the officials or the rest who did the work.

Insights: Yesterday we gave a brief history of Israel leading up to the book of Nehemiah.  Today, I am going to give us a brief overview of the book as it specifically relates to Nehemiah.  Today’s verses deal with two of the three roles Nehemiah held throughout this book.  First, Nehemiah was the cupbearer to the king.  According to Chuck Swindoll, “it has been suggested by ancient historians that the cupbearer, like no other than the king’s wife, was in a position to influence the monarch.”  After hearing about the remnant in Jerusalem, Nehemiah needed a political favor from the king and his role as cupbearer gave him that opportunity.  Second, Nehemiah was a builder.  He knew, however, he could not just show up to Jerusalem and give this great plan for the rebuilding of the wall.  The reason for this wise decision was because Nehemiah knew people go through three stages to any idea that was not their own.  There was first rejection of the idea, then toleration for the idea and finally acceptance of the idea.  So, when he arrived as our verses today tell us, he went on a fact finding mission.  He surveyed the wall.  The final role Nehemiah held in this book was that of governor.  The people who were subject to him had been born slaves in captivity to parents in captivity.  They did not have much hope for their future.  When Nehemiah entered into this gubernatorial role it brought a since of hope to the people.  For the first time they believed there were signs of new beginnings for their lives.  Over the next two days we will see how these roles impact our lives.

Questions:
  1. What roles have you had while serving the Lord?
  2. In what role is God calling you presently?
Prayer: Father, I am so grateful You ordain my path.  You know exactly what I ought to be doing at every moment.  Give me the courage to follow hard after You into whatever arena You call me.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment