Thursday, January 17, 2013

Humility before God: A Humble Leader Seeks God First and then is Used by Him


Scripture: Nehemiah 1:8-11
"Remember the word which You commanded Your servant Moses, saying, 'If you are unfaithful I will scatter you among the peoples; but if you return to Me and keep My commandments and do them, though those of you who have been scattered were in the most remote part of the heavens, I will gather them from there and will bring them to the place where I have chosen to cause My name to dwell.' "They are Your servants and Your people whom You redeemed by Your great power and by Your strong hand. "O Lord, I beseech You, may Your ear be attentive to the prayer of Your servant and the prayer of Your servants who delight to revere Your name, and make Your servant successful today and grant him compassion before this man." Now I was the cupbearer to the king.

Insights: The third aspect of prayer that we observe from Nehemiah’s example is that of claiming the promises of God.  Notice that Nehemiah quotes from Leviticus twenty-six and Deuteronomy thirty in verses eight and nine.  In other words, he is going back to Scripture and reminding God of the promises He has already made.  When we are praying Scripture back to God and we are claiming His very promises to us, we do not have to question if it is the will of God.  He has already promised it through His Word.  It is for this reason we need to know what God’s Word states.  So, Beloved, spend time daily in the Bible and let God minister to your heart and increase your faith.  The final aspect of prayer modeled by Nehemiah is his actual petition before God.  This request is found in verse eleven.  He asked boldly for God to grant him compassion before the king.  There does come a point in time we must ask in faith for God to answer our prayers.  Notice, however, it was the last thing Nehemiah did, not the first.  All too often we just treat God like a jeanie in the bottle and make our request without doing the three previously mentioned parts of prayer.  How arrogant and presumptuous of us?  Nehemiah’s prayer also informs us of one last part of a person showing humility before God and that is his willingness to be used by God to meet the need.  His prayer to have favor before the king is because he has heard he is to rebuild the wall.  He wants to serve and now he needs permission.

Questions:
  1. On what promises of God are you resting?
  2. Do you present your requests to God in fresh faith expecting Him to respond?
Prayer: Father, thank You that You never leave me nor forsake me.  Thank You that You supply me with a peace that surpasses understanding.  Thank You that You bear my burdens when I turn them over to You.  Lord, sanctify my life and grow my faith as I strive to serve You.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment