Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What Saints have Learned about Contentment - Internal Strength, Part 2


Scripture: Philippians 4:13-19
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction. You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account. But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God.  And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Insights: Hudson Taylor, the father of modern missions, was a man deeply devoted and committed to Christ Jesus.  He worked long hours and sacrificed much in his life for the progress of the gospel.  Taylor, however, had not learned the secret of contentment found in Christ Jesus of which Paul has been writing.  Taylor did all things through Taylor’s strength and power.  In his book Spiritual Secret he has a chapter titled The Exchanged Life.  In this chapter he describes what he learned about Jesus’ presence IN the believer’s life.  He wrote, “To let my loving Saviour work in me His will, my sanctification, is what I would live for by His grace. Abiding, not striving nor struggling; looking off unto Him; trusting Him for present power; … resting in the love of an almighty Saviour, in the joy of a complete salvation, ‘from all sin’ - this is not new, and yet ‘tis new to me. I feel as though the dawning of a glorious day had risen upon me. I hail it with trembling, yet with trust. I seem to have got to the edge only, but of a boundless sea; to have sipped only, but of that which fully satisfies. Christ literally all seems to me, now, the power, the only power for service, the only ground for unchanging joy… It was the exchanged life that had come to him - the life that is indeed ‘No longer I.’ Six months earlier he had written, ‘I have continually to mourn that I follow at such a distance and learn so slowly to imitate my precious Master.’ There was no thought of imitation now! It was in blessed reality ‘Christ liveth in me.’ And how great the difference! - instead of bondage, liberty; instead of failure, quiet victories within; instead of fear and weakness, a restful sense of sufficiency in Another.”

Questions:
  1. Are you trying to live life in your own strength and sufficiency?
  2. Have you begun to experience the exchanged life of which Hudson Taylor spoke?
Prayer: Jesus, You live IN me and You alone are the source of my life, hope, and strength.  Put to death, O Lord, my self-rule and let me live the exchanged life found in You.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment