Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What Saints have Learned about Contentment - Internal Strength, Part 1


Scripture: Philippians 4:13-19
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction. You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account. But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God.  And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Insights: I want to remind you of two words that were used in verses eleven and twelve yesterday.  In our English translation we used the word learned for both of these words.  In the Greek language, however, it is two separate words.  The one in verse eleven really does mean learn.  I will address that part in just a moment.  The word used in verse twelve, however, means initiated.  So, let me put this idea together for you.  The reason we are able to do all things through Jesus who strengthens us is because He initiated us into the secret.  This secret is available only to those who are a part of Jesus’ family—those who have been born again by receiving Jesus’ gift of salvation through His death and resurrection.  This initiation is the first of the three parts of salvation.  We call this part justification.  We are justified before God as righteous because of Jesus work in us.  Once we are initiated, however, we must learn how to be content in Christ.  This truth is the second part of salvation and we call it sanctification.  Sanctification is the process in which Jesus purges us of our old sin nature and conforms us into His image.  The third part of salvation occurs once we have entered into eternity with Jesus.  We call that third part glorification.  Tomorrow we are going to learn more about what life looks like when we have begun to learn these truths from Jesus.  Beloved, if we will humble ourselves to the glorious teaching of Christ Jesus, we truly will be able to do ALL THINGS for His glory because He supplies the strength to accomplish the task.  How glorious that will be when we truly learn how to live life in this fashion.  To God be the glory!

Questions:
  1. Have you been initiated into the family of God?
  2. Are you being pliable to Jesus’ teachings regarding contentment?
Prayer: Jesus, thank You for teaching me how to live life inside out with You being the source of all strength and sufficiency.  Continue to mold me into a person of faith who trusts You completely.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment