Monday, November 19, 2012

Timothy was Concerned about People


Scripture: Philippians 2:19-21
But I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, so that I also may be encouraged when I learn of your condition. For I have no one else of kindred spirit who will genuinely be concerned for your welfare. For they all seek after their own interests, not those of Christ Jesus.

Insights: ABC has, or had, a television show titled, What Would You Do?  The show had hidden cameras and actors performing unethical deeds.  These actions were done in public and the show was capturing what ordinary people did in various situations.  For example, one episode, they had a blind man being mistreated and taken advantage of by a pastry employee.  Some people came to the blind man’s defense, while others did nothing.  In many ways this show is a modern day parable of the Good Samaritan.  I mention this show because of today’s verses.  The church of Philippi had lots of problems.  We have mentioned that they were being attacked from outside the church and there were divisions inside of the church.  Paul, unfortunately, is in jail in Rome and is unable to go visit them.  So, he inquires of the membership of First Church of Rome to see if any of them would be willing to take a missions trip to this struggling church at Philippi.  To Paul’s broken heart, he finds that none are willing to be a Good Samaritan to this struggling church.  Let’s relook at Paul’s words, “For I have no one else of kindred spirit who will genuinely be concerned for your welfare. For they all seek after their own interests, not those of Christ Jesus.”  The entire church of Rome had only concerns about themselves.  I wonder how many churches today are like this Roman church.  Timothy, however, was Paul’s protégé and when Paul asked him to go, Timothy was willing.  Timothy had a concern for the people of Philippi and was willing to make the difficult journey and minister to them in Paul’s absence.  I wonder what we would do if we were asked a similar question.

Questions:
  1. Are you willing to be a Good Samaritan to someone in need?
  2. Do you seek after your own interests?
Prayer: Father, create in my heart a kindred spirit to Your Son’s.  May I serve His interests and not my own.  Lord, increase my concern for other people and open my eyes to see the needs around me.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment