Monday, November 12, 2012

The Work of God IN You, Part 1


Scripture: Philippians 2:12-13
So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Insights: I want to express what salvation is because many erroneous ideas about salvation have sprung up because of verse twelve.  When Paul wrote, “work out your salvation…” he was not talking about our encounter with Jesus that justifies us before God and brings new life into us.  Tomorrow I will write about what Paul is talking about in this verse.  What is biblical salvation then?  First, is to know that grace is available to you.  God wants to give you a free gift of eternal life with Him and this gift can’t be earned or deserved.  Two, is recognizing that you are a sinner and that there is no way in which you will ever be able to save yourself in your own power, might, strength, speed, intellect, etc.  Three, God loves you and does not want to punish you, but He is at the same time just; and therefore, must punish your sin.  So, how does God solve this apparent contradiction?  Well the fourth step answers that question.  Four, Jesus is the infinite God-Man.  In other words, He is fully God and fully man at the very same time.  What Jesus did for us was to leave heaven and come to earth and live among us.  He taught us the way to live our lives and receive God through His work.  The follow was Jesus’ work: to die on a cross as a sacrifice for your sins and mine.  He bore the punishment that was rightfully ours and He took our sin in His death.  He was then buried, but on the third day God raised Him from the dead as victorious over sin and death.  Five, the final step is to receive by faith this gift for which Jesus paid.  You do that by faith.  Faith is not mere intellect, nor is it just temporary in nature.  Faith is confessing with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believing in your heart that God raised Him from the dead. 

Questions:
  1. Have you received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
  2. Are you willing to receive Him now?  If so, pray this prayer below and let me know.
Prayer: Father, I recognize I am a sinner and far from You and that I can’t save myself.  So, by faith I confess with my mouth and believe in my heart that Your Son Jesus died for my sins and was buried, but You raised Him from the dead.  Your Son Jesus took my punishment for my sins and has given me eternal life.  I gratefully receive this gift right now and ask for Jesus to be my Lord and Savior.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment