Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Conflict of a Soldier: Suffering for Home WILL BE Experienced Here


Scripture: Philippians 1:29-30
For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, experiencing the same conflict which you saw in me, and now hear to be in me.

Insights: Paul instructed his son in the faith with these words, “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted (2 Timothy 3:12).”  Read Warren Wiersbe’s words regarding these verses, “The presence of conflict is a privilege; we suffer ‘for His sake.’  In fact, Paul tells us that this conflict is ‘granted’ to us—it is a gift!  If we were suffering for ourselves, it would be no privilege; but because we are suffering for and with Christ, it is a high and holy honor.”  In light of these two quotes, it is perfectly appropriate to say, our battles help prove we are truly born again.  Many people have the wrong assumption that when they receive Jesus as their Savior and Lord that their problems will go away.  In reality according to these verses and the words Paul gave Timothy, our problems just begin at the point we receive Jesus’ gift.  If you think of your sufferings in this proper perspective, as a gift from God, then you can experience great joy in the battle.  Here is how it works:  Your suffering is as if God were saying to you, His child, “I love you so much and I trust you so much that I am going to allow you to experience this difficult time in your life in order to produce great joy in you and glory for Me.”  My problem, and I venture to say most peoples problem, is I don’t view my sufferings and battles in this perspective.  Beloved, the Lord is taking us through a sanctifying process and maturing us to the point and place we are able to live life from this vantage point.  I long for the day when I am able, like Paul, to give thanks in ALL circumstances (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

Questions:
  1. In what ways are you suffering for Jesus?
  2. Are you viewing your suffering as a gift for God?
Prayer: Father, I am presently not at a spiritual maturity to receive my sufferings as joyful moments, but I do desire such a state of contentment in You.  Mature and change me by Your grace and presence to accept sufferings as a true gift.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment