Friday, November 16, 2012

Paul's Example FOR You


Scripture: Philippians 2:17-18
But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all. You too, I urge you, rejoice in the same way and share your joy with me.

Insights: In the Old Testament there were drink offerings presented to the Lord.  When they were poured out on the alter it made a pleasing aroma to the Lord.  When such an offering was given they would pour out every last drop because it was ALL to be given to the Lord.  So, when Paul writes, “…I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice…,” he is alluding to his death.  Paul is describing the way he lives his life for God.  He wants every last drop of his life to be used for the glory of God.  If that last drop means a martyrs death, then he is willing to give his life for such an end.  If it means preaching until he dies a natural death, then he will preach until he can breathe no more.  Paul lives this way because he desires for God to be glorified.  At the exact same time, Paul is not unaware of the personal benefit he receives from such a life.  In fact, he points to it four times in these two verses today.  He uses the word “rejoice” two times and the word “joy” two times.  Both of these words are indicating the same thing.  When one’s life is full of joy and that joy overflows, the result is rejoicing.  Joy is the internal aspect and points us back to verses twelve and thirteen which we looked at earlier this week.  Rejoicing is the external aspect and points us back to verse fourteen through sixteen which we also looked at earlier this week.  Now, in today’s verses, Paul is bringing it all together.  It is as if he were saying to us, “Now here is my example of letting God work IN me and OUT OF me and I want to live that way until I die because I know I will experience unimaginable joy all of my days.”  Beloved, live your life as one being poured out for Jesus.  No matter what happens, you will be glad you did!

Questions:
  1. Can your life be described as being poured out as a drink offering?
  2. Are you experiencing the joy of such a life?
Prayer: Father, my heart is so selfish at times.  Forgive me when I hold back and do not pour my life out for Your glory.  Continue Your work of grace in my life so I can identify with Paul’s words and be a drink offering for You.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment