Friday, March 24, 2017

Proclamation to Men is Obedience to Christ

Photo by brett jordan
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 5:14-15
For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.

Insights: We conclude this week with the idea of our proclamation to men is obedience to Christ.  Look at the verses with me.  Paul writes, “For the love of Christ controls us.”  He continues, “they who live might no longer live for themselves.”  The emphasis of these two statements is we are obedient to Jesus.  He controls our lives.  Our desire is no longer for ourselves, but for Him.  We ought to want to please Him with all of who we are.  His work has put my old self to death.  I am dead in Christ.  I did not, however, remain dead.  I rose again in Him.  Because of this new life I am compelled out of gratitude and love to obey the Lord Jesus.  Jesus Himself said, “If you love me, you will obey my commandments (John 14:15).”  In my sermon Sunday I talked about how many in the church are practical atheists.  In a conversation with such a person they would tell you they love Jesus.  They would even say they have received Him as Lord and Savior.  They would be good church going people.  They would not, however, have life changing fruit to display as evidence of their love for Jesus.  When He commissioned them, they would not obey.  They would live for themselves and would quench the Holy Spirit from controlling their lives.  Beloved, I believe this practical atheism is the reason 93% of all churches are stagnant or plateaued.  It is this practical atheism which explains why 95% of church attenders have never led a person to Jesus Christ.  Let me challenge you to strive for intimacy with Jesus.  I say this because what I know to be true about Jesus is He has an amazing way of changing who we are to honor Him.  The more you know Him the more you will desire to obey Him.  Pursue Him with a reckless abandon and be in awe of His presence and power.

Questions:
 1. Are you obedient to the Father?
 2. What evidence is there of your obedience?

Prayer: Father, forgive me when I walk in rebellion of Your commands.  Strengthen me to display my love for You in real and profound ways.  Let my life bring You glory.  Amen.



If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment