Thursday, January 14, 2016

There Is A Perception To Gain: Where Is This Person?

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more.  To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.  I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

Insights: The second way in which we share the gospel without needlessly offending the lost person is to meet them where they are presently.  Notice Paul met the Jew were the Jew was.  He met the one under the law as one under the law.  He met the one without the law as one without the law.  He literally became all things to all people in order to win some for Jesus.  One way in which I personally try to find common ground is to keep my eyes moving and looking around me.  I look at what the person is wearing and see if their is a logo or phrase on their clothing I can use as a jumping point into a conversation which I hope will lead to a conversation about Jesus.  If I happen to be in their home, I am looking at paintings or pictures or art around the house.  Again, I am doing this to find a common ground.  I ask questions about their employment or hobbies.  Again, I am doing this to find common ground.  I have found the biggest key to being able to do this looking is to have a genuine concern for people.  In other words, when I really seem to care about that individual I am willing to look and ask questions in order to know them better.  When I am rushed or disinterested or even fatigued I find I am unwilling to take the time to get to know the person.  It is for this reason I believe we must truly be intentional about finding common ground with which to engage a person with conversation.  Beloved, slow down, get the proper rest you need each night and be curious about people.  All you have to do is start asking questions and let the conversation progress naturally as you try to find common ground.

Questions:
1. As you evaluate your lost friend have you discovered common ground on which to build the relationship?
2. Do you have difficultly finding common ground with other people?


Prayer: Father, You have put people in my path for a reason.  Help me to look for ways to connect with those I don’t presently know in order to earn the right to share Jesus with them.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment