Monday, January 4, 2016

God is at Work

Scripture: Isaiah 48:3
I declared the former things long ago And they went forth from My mouth, and I proclaimed them.  Suddenly I acted, and they came to pass.

Insights: Yesterday we worked through a passage of Scripture in order to help us see God’s plan for FBCBG through 2016.  The first thing we learned, which is found in today’s verse, is God is at work.  This concept of God always being at work is not knew to the Thoughts by Scott blog posts.  It is foundational to my theology and therefore I preach and write about it a lot.  In regards to this verse, you have to go back to the time of Moses and the giving of the Law.  Back then, God told them what their life would be like if they followed after Him.  He also told them the consequences of not following Him.  He gave them this words years in advance and through out their history He would send prophets to remind them of His words.  Now God is telling them, I let you know this event was going to take place for years and now I am acting and bringing about the consequences for your rebellion against me.  The point I want you to walk away with regarding this point is not the justice God dispensed on the people, but rather God was working.  He was working before He gave Israel the Law.  He was working after He had given them the Law and He was working in the history of Isaiah at this time period bringing about His judgment on the people for their sin.  It was not God’s heart desire to punish the people and send them into exile.  It was His heart desire for them to repent and turn back to Him and He had been actively working to bring this desired outcome to pass.  The people, however, rejected God’s offer of grace.  Beloved, God is still working today.  He is still drawing on the hearts of people.  His Spirit is still telling people they need to receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  I am not really going to go into the next part of this aspect of God working in this weeks blog posts, but the second side of this coin is we are to join Him in His work.  In other words, we adjust our lives and join Him where He is working.  We go on mission with the Lord and let me tell you, when we do, life is exciting.  Let me encourage you to open your eyes and look for God’s activity in this world and then join Him.

Questions:
1. In what areas of your life have you observed God’s activity?
2. In what areas outside of your personal life have you observed God’s work?


Prayer: Father, I am so grateful You are always at work.  You have never stopped drawing on the hearts of humanity.  Grant me eyes to see Your activity and the courage to join You in your work.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment