Wednesday, January 6, 2016

God Reveals in Advance

Scripture: Isaiah 48:5
Therefore I declared them to you long ago, Before they took place I proclaimed them to you, So that you would not say, ‘My idol has done them, And my graven image and my molten image have commanded them.’

Insights: So far this week we have learned God is always at work, but we are resistant to work because of our sin nature.  Today, however, we learn God continues to invite us join Him in His work and one way He does it is by revealing in advance the big picture of the assignment.  Why does God give us this big long range picture?  He does it, according to our verse today, in order for us to recognize it was God Himself who brought it to pass and not false gods or even ourselves.  How does this concept play out for us in our every day lives?  Typically God reveals some completely bodacious goal He is going to bring to pass.  For example, He told the children of Israel they were going to take the Promised Land.  They have their ideas as to how to take a land and God has His ideas on how to take a land.  Israel gathers up the group and God says, “I want to maim my army and have them recover just a short distance from the enemy.”  God did this as He called His people back to the covenantal sign of circumcision.  If this idea was not crazy enough, God then tells them to march around Jericho for seven days and seven times on the last day and finally to shoot.  This plan is what God is going with to take Jericho.  The children of Isreal did not know any of these plans when God gave them in advance the big mission of taking the Promised Land.  God works the same way with us and the reason is so we grow dependent on Him.  He also does it because if He revealed all of the plan it would scar us too much, but He knows the more we walk in obedience with Him the more confidence we have in Him and His provision and care.  God’s revelation in advance is true for individuals and corporate bodies.  Beloved, let me encourage you to review 2015 and to begin asking the Lord as to what His big 2016 assignment is for you.  As you walk this journey out, He will reveal the specifics of the big picture.  All you have to do is be obedient.

Questions:
1. As you reflect on 2015, did you accomplish God’s big assignment for you last year?
2. What big thing has God revealed to you for 2016?


Prayer: Father, I am frail and weak.  I am not capable of doing anything great for You, but because of Christ in me, I can obey You and bring You glory as I do great things in Your power.  May my life bring You honor this year as I obey You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment