Wednesday, January 8, 2014

What Kind of Relationship do You Present to God?

Scripture: Genesis 4:8
Cain told Abel his brother. And it came about when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him.

Insights: This particular question we must answer today is the one that breaks my heart as a pastor the most.  At the same time it is one of the hardest areas for me when it comes to ministry.  I can say I truly do love those who the Lord has placed in my ministry path throughout the years.  That statement does not mean all of my relationships have been healthy or full of “kumbaya” experiences.  The church is one army that shots its wounded.  We are, unfortunately, very good at hurting each other when we are supposed to be encouraging one another.  As a result we avoid some brothers and sisters in the Lord and we stop participating in church activities.  In other words, we stop living out the purpose of the body of Christ and the church eventually shrivels up and dies.  Cain literally killed his brother and often times the church kills each other in our thoughts and actions.  Beloved, let me challenge you to go back one more time to those with whom you are having relational challenges and see if the Lord will restore the love relationship.  It is absolutely crucial to the health and future well-being of the local church.  Jesus said in John 13:34-35, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  ‘By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.’”  A lost world is bound up in their sin and their relationships are horrific in nature.  They strive to please themselves only and put the concerns of others to the wayside.  We, the church, are to be an example of a different kind of life.  We need to love each other.  We need to care for each other.  We need to serve each other.  We need Christ Jesus to be brought glory through our lives.  What we must NOT do, however, is say, “God bless me and let Your favor fall on me, but I am not going to change my relational habits with those whom I am at odds.”  It is a complete contradiction to believe God is going to bless FBCBG while we retain our relational selfishness and pride.  Beloved, humble yourselves before the mighty hand of God and let Him heal you!

Questions:
  1. Is there anyone who came to mind as you read today’s Thoughts by Scott?
  2. Are you willing to go to that person and attempt to reconcile the relationship?

Prayer: Father, relationships are so hard on this side of eternity. Help me to live at peace with all people as far as it depends on me.  Let Your Spirit guide and direct my relationships with people and may they bring You glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment