Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Envy Can Lead to the Pits

Scripture: Genesis 37:23-24
So it came about, when Joseph reached his brothers, that they stripped Joseph of his tunic, the varicolored tunic that was on him; and they took him and threw him into the pit. Now the pit was empty, without any water in it.

Insights: Before I share today’s Thoughts by Scott, let me give you a little background about this particular part of the story.  In today’s verses Joseph’s varicolored tunic is mentioned.  This tunic is crucial in understanding the thought for today.  This tunic would have reached all the way to Joseph’s ankles.  It was a type of tunic reserved for students and scholars.  In other words, while Joseph’s brothers were out working in the heat of the day, Joseph was back at school drinking lemonade under the shade of a tent.  These brothers were in essence paying for the betterment of Joseph while they had no such option because they had to work.  This background helps us understand the second thing that can lead us into the pits of life is envy.  When we are envious of other people, we can quickly find ourselves in the pits of life.  The reason for this truth is because there is always someone who has a little more than we do or whose life is a little better than ours.  When we find ourselves playing the comparison game, we can quickly become envious of the other person and soon we will find ourselves in a relational conflict like we looked at yesterday.  Joseph’s brothers could not have what he did, and therefore, they hated him for it.  Their response was to throw Joseph into a literal pit.  We can find ourselves in a figurative pit of torment and strife if we don’t turn our attention to the Lord Jesus and find our satisfaction in Him rather than the personalities surrounding us.  Beloved, let me encourage you to run to Jesus.  Whenever you start to compare your life with all of its flaws and defects let me encourage you to run to Jesus.  Do not let envy lead you into the comparative gave that will end up with you living in the pits of life.  Let Jesus be your joy and life and you will be amazed at how good your life soon looks to you.

Questions:
  1. Are you envious of anyone?
  2. What are you doing to lean contentment in who you are in the Lord Jesus?

Prayer: Father, I so often find myself comparing myself to others.  When I do, often times I become envious of the other person.  I ask, why do I not have a ministry like theirs?  Why do I not have an income like theirs? The list of questions continue.  Lord, forgive me for those kind of thoughts and help me to learn contentment in You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment