Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Conflicts Can Lead to the Pits

Scripture: Genesis 37:18-20
When they saw him from a distance and before he came close to them, they plotted against him to put him to death. They said to one another, "Here comes this dreamer! "Now then, come and let us kill him and throw him into one of the pits; and we will say, 'A wild beast devoured him.' Then let us see what will become of his dreams!"

Insights: Before I expound today’s Thoughts by Scott, let me ask you to be in prayer for me this week.  In January I take a week-long prayer retreat and am presently on this retreat.  If you would please pray for me, I would be most appreciative.  Now, to today’s thoughts: As we journey though the Bible this year we come to a key figure in the shaping of the people of Israel.  His name is Joseph and he is the favored son of Jacob, whose name was changed to Israel.  Joseph has had some dreams and been given a special coat by his father.  He thinks life cannot get any better than this, but he is going to quickly find himself in a literal pit wondering what is happening to him.  Over the next few days I want to mention three things that can lead us into the pits of life.  There are many more than three, but in this passage we find three.  The first is relationship conflicts can lead us into the pits of life.  Notice in today’s verses that Joseph’s brothers do not think very highly of their little brother.  The relationship had become so toxic that they were discussing murdering their little brother.  Joseph has created some of this hatred on his own.  The brothers call him a dreamer.  Joseph had been given a God ordained dream about his place over his brothers.  It is pure speculation on my part, but the way his brothers and father respond to his telling of that dream leads me to believe he was a little boastful and proud in his God ordained status before his family.  This speculation leads me to believe Joseph had caused some of the relational conflict that existed in his family.  We need to be aware that relationships can be toxic and lead us to the pit.

Questions:
  1. What relationships do you presently have which are causing you conflict and difficulty?
  2. In what ways are you allowing these relationships to lead you into the pits of life?

Prayer: Father, I know that as long as I live on this side of eternity there will be times in which I find myself in the pits of life.  Help me to recognize in advance the relationships which may lead me down into those pits and give me the grace to be preemptive and heal those relationships before they are truly toxic.  Grant me Your grace, if I am already in one of those relationships, to know how to reconcile with my brother or sister.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment