Wednesday, January 29, 2014

We Seek God in Our Pain

Scripture: Job 1:20b
and he fell to the ground and worshiped.

Insights: This entire week we have been and will continue to look at the proper response to pain.  Yesterday we learned that it is okay to mourn in the midst of our pain.  Today, however, I want you to notice the rest of verse twenty.  Immediately after tearing his close and shaving his head, the Scriptures inform us that Job fell to the ground and worshiped.  Job absolutely understood that his only hope was the Lord God.  This past week my father-in-law was telling me about a billionaire who had made a poor investment and lost two or three billion dollars.  His net worth went from around five billion to two or three billion.  Apparently, according to my father-in-laws retelling of the news story, he committed suicide.  His hope had been in his money and even though he had an amount of money that is beyond most peoples comprehension, it was not enough for him.  He was in pain and he did not know Who he ought to turn to for his sorrow.  Job, on the other hand, did know who to turn to and that was the Lord.  His hope was in the Lord God and because of that his mourning was a form of worship.  In our service Sunday, we had people who were in pain and sorrow to raise their hands.  After that we had the body of Christ to surround them and to pray for those individuals.  Afterwards, I closed in a time of corporate prayer for those who were hurting.  Beloved, as a bystander to those in pain, let me encourage you to worship the Lord on behalf of those in sorrow.  You are able to perform this act of worship by praying for those with whom you know are going through the storms of life.  If you are one who is in the storm, let me also encourage you to run to Jesus.  He truly is our only hope and the only One who can truly give us comfort and peace in our pain.  Let our sorrow be a worshipful type of sorrow as we run to Jesus. 

Questions:
  1. When you are in the midst of pain and mourning, do you quickly turn your focus on the Lord?
  2. Is your mourning a form of worship to the Lord as You seek His comfort and will?

Prayer: Father, forgive me when I turn my pain into something that detracts from Your glory.  Help me to respond to the sufferings of this world like Job and quickly turn my sorrow into worship.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment