Wednesday, April 13, 2016

What We Look Like when We Put Ourselves First

Photo by Mark Faviell
Scripture: Titus 3:3
For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another.

Insights: Titus did not always live a life by putting others first.  In fact, Paul identifies himself with Titus when he lists a life descriptive of one living for self.  Unfortunately, I think I find myself living life this way all too often.  The first characteristic Paul uses to describe someone living life for themselves is that this person is foolish.  Quite frankly, we could stop right there and put my picture on the poster board and call it a day.  I cannot recall all of the foolish things I have said, done and thought in my life.  These foolish decisions lead to the second characteristic which is disobedience.  In my foolish state I actually believed I knew more than God did.  As a result, I would disobey Him and do things my way.  I would love to tell you it was because of the third characteristic (and at times it was), but more often than not it was my own selfishness that brought about this sin.  The third characteristic is the selfish person is deceived.  Satan is an evil advisory and he has come to steal, kill and destroy.  In his attacks he has deceived many and they then fall into the fourth characteristic which is enslavement to lusts and pleasures.  In other words, this selfish person believes the lie of Satan that they really are the most important person on the planet.  They then begin to think they are above the rules and pursue lusts and pleasures without any regard for the consequences.  Don’t forget, however, this pursuit is fleeting and based on deception.  The consequence of such a pursuit is the fifth characteristic and that is a life full of malice and envy.  They want what others have and are malicious because they don’t have it.  In the end, the final characteristic is exposed and that is the person is hateful.  They actually start to hate other people because the other person who has what they want is “affecting” them (from their deceived perspective), and therefore, this person ought to be hated.  This process is the epitome of foolishness.  It cries out selfishness.  It is in complete contradiction to the ways of God and His love.  Beloved, if you have examined your life and find these traits to be true of your life, please repent.  Ask God to change your heart and live a life that honors Him.  A self-centered life leads to pain and destruction.  Choose life in Christ.

Questions:
1. Would others attribute the descriptors mentioned today to your life?
2. If you were to be honest with yourself, do you put yourself above others?

Prayer: Father, all too often I find myself living from this perspective of self-centeredness.  Please forgive me and transform me by Your grace.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment