Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Choose Your Vocation Wisely

Photo by Flazingo Photos
Scripture: Titus 3:13-14
Diligently help Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way so that nothing is lacking for them.  Our people must also learn to engage in good deeds to meet pressing needs, so that they will not be unfruitful.

Insights: As I get older I am becoming more and more convinced people do not choose their vocations wisely.  Far too many people are trying to find a job instead of finding their calling.  Paul was a tent maker by profession and he used his vocation as a tool to bring glory and honor to the Lord.  He would talk to people in the market place about the Lord and his customers about Jesus.  He would also tell them about a house meeting that was going to be held that evening and invite these individuals to come over.  He was not making and repairing tents solely to receive an income, or in modern day vernacular, a paycheck.  I think it is imperative I mention that too many people today just look for a job that pays them well and has a good benefit package.  These reasons are the absolutely worst reason to take a job, because if that is the motivation, then you truly do just have a job.  I cannot tell you how many conversations I have had with people who hate their job, but are now too far invested to quit and do what they really are called to do.  Would it not have been better to have started with the question: Lord, what would You have me to do?  I tell you, the world would be a far better place if we had more people doing what they were called to do, rather than just earning a living and waiting toward retirement.  I think Zenas was truly called to be a lawyer.  I even wonder if he had helped Paul on his many cases in which he was wrongfully arrested.  I think it is probable that Zenas did help Paul in this fashion.  If you are young, let me admonish you to not just take a job.  If you are older and are already committed to a job, then let me encourage you to find a way in which you can best be a light in your place of employment.  Look for opportunities to talk with other employees about Jesus.  Invite them to church with you.  Let your job be a catalyst for you to share Jesus and let the Lord be glorified through you.

Questions:
1. In what profession has God called you?
2. Are you presently working in that profession?

Prayer: Father, I thank You for gifting me and molding me into the person You created me to be.  Help me glorify You in my vocation.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment