Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Gift of Encouragement

Photo by Lisa Creech Bledsoe
Scripture: Acts 13:43c-d
who, speaking to them, were urging them to continue in the grace of God.

Insights: The last point from Sunday’s sermon dealt with encouragement.  Notice in today’s verse it states, “who.”  The “who” here is referencing Paul and Barnabas.  Now, notice what they are doing.  They are speaking words of encouragement to the group of people who have followed them.  Remember, these people were hungering for the Word and for fellowship.  Paul and Barnabas were urging them to continue in the grace of God.  In other words, they were encouraging them to seek after the God and to receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  I think we live in a world that is so fast paced we often miss the important task of encouraging those around us.  I will speak only for myself, but all too often I fail to speak words of kindness and compassion into peoples lives because I have to get here or get there.  I think one of the things our modern society has lost because of our technology is the ability to truly engage people on a deeper level relationally.  Encouragement, the ability to help someone recognize better opportunities, is a lost art among most people (again, at least in my opinion).  Let me encourage you (and myself) to slow down.  Smell the roses as the old saying goes.  Pause long enough to look intently into the eyes of another human being and share grace with them.  Be a light in the midst of the darkness and when people ask you why you are showing this kind of compassion and concern—tell them.  Tell them how Jesus changed your life and how He desires to change theirs as well.  Let them know of His amazing love and grace and encourage them to meet Him for the very first time.  They will be forever grateful for your faithful obedience to your great love, Jesus.  As a way of example: we at FBC Bowling Green just hosted our Carrying Christ to our Community (C3) event a few weeks ago.  This past Sunday, a young lady who has been coming faithfully since that C3 weekend prayed to receive Jesus into her heart.  Hopefully, this word encourages your heart to be a part of our next C3 event at FBCBG.  They are worth reaching the lost world.  Let me give you a second word of encouragement.  We are five weeks away from Easter.  Would you please join me in praying the Lord will double our attendance?  Would you pray His Spirit has complete reign and rule in that service?  Would you pray that many of them would return and eventually become faithful followers of Jesus?  Would you be one to invite people to our church in order to help us double?  I pray these questions have spurred your heart to want to see God do great things at our church this Easter.

Questions:
1. Are you in the habit of encouraging people in their walk with the Lord?
2. In what ways can you be a source of encouragement for others?

Prayer: Father, all too often I am insensitive to people and their needs.  Help me to recognize when others need a word of encouragement and grant me the wisdom to know what to say.  May my words be words of healing and help.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment