Monday, February 8, 2016

Fallout is a Reality

Scripture: Acts 13:13
Now Paul and his companions put out to sea from Paphos and came to Perga in Pamphylia; but John left them and returned to Jerusalem.

Insights: I have written about today’s thought before.  It is not an easy thought for me to work through in my personal life.  I am better at this now than I was five years ago and hopefully in five years I will still be better at it than I am today.  This thought is the departure of people on the journey in your ministry.  I have been that person in times past that had to leave a ministry and I know the pain it caused those in leadership to see Kristy and me depart.  I have had those in my own ministries that have left me and I know first had the pain I experienced.  The truth is not everyone is going to make it to the finish line with you in ministry.  It is really easy to write those words and to speak those words, but it is an entirely different thing to process those emotions that come with this truth.  In today’s verse we see John leaving Paul and Barnabas on their journey.  Now we know from reading ahead in the story that some time later Barnabas is going to want to give John another chance, but Paul is adamant that he is not willing to give John this second opportunity to abandon them again.  These two depart company as a result of this disagreement.  Barnabas and Mark go on their journey and Paul and Silas go on their journey.  We also know near the end of Paul’s life that he has been reconciled to John because while he is in prison he asked for John to come because he has been useful to him.  I share this part of the story as a way of providing hope that not all separations are permanent.  Sometimes God allows for healing and restoration to occur as well.  Here is the take away for today’s Thoughts by Scott: even if people abandon you on your faith journey be like Paul and Barnabas.  Remain faithful to the Lord and run the race He has called you to run.  Put your hand to the plow and don’t look back.  Stay steadfast in His mission for you and let the chips fall where they will along the way.  You will lose some people, but you will also gain others.  Keep pressing on and give God the glory for His work in the process.

Questions:
1. Who has recently left the journey of obedience in your life?
2. Is there anything you could have done to keep the motivated and engaged in the vision?

Prayer: Father, my heart breaks every time a person stops running the race with me.  Yet, I know I am called to be obedient to You.  Help me do all I can to keep people on the journey, but at the same time find my identity and perseverance in You.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment