Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Love Experiences Pain

Scripture: Ruth 1:3-5
Then Elimelech, Naomi’s husband, died; and she was left with her two sons.  They took for themselves Moabite women as wives; the name of the one was Orpah and the name of the other Ruth. And they lived there about ten years.  Then both Mahlon and Chilion also died, and the woman was bereft of her two children and her husband.

Insights:  Yesterday we learned love takes risks.  One of the other truths about such a risk is it also causes pain.  Very specifically in today’s verses we see Naomi have to bear the pain of losing her husband and two sons to death.  I am really not the best person to discuss this subject matter.  I hurt and I bear pain when a loved one dies (I am specifically thinking of my father), but I am not the most emotional person and don’t walk the pain journey like I observe others.  I more intellectually understand it than I do experientially.  What I understand, however, is loss hurts.  Naomi experienced it three fold.  The pain we experience is not always related to the loss of life.  In this weeks history it is literally related to a loss of life, but not always.  The example I shared with the church is we were going to present a vision to them that evening at the vision workshop.  I informed the church if we adopted the vision, then quite frankly, there would be some who would not join us on the journey.  They will leave our fellowship.  When they leave, it will hurt.  It will cause pain.  I told them to remember this sermon when that day comes because they will begin to question whether the vision is worth the pain.  Beloved, regarding our vision, let me tell you it is worth the pain.  We will usher in a new day and will experience God doing great things through us if we remain faithful.  Tomorrow we will look at what we are to do when we see another person in pain.  Until then, God bless and have a wonderful day.

Questions:
1.  What pain have you experienced in your past because you chose to love?
2.  As you project forward in you life, in what areas might you experience pain for risking to love?


Prayer: Father, Your love for me cost You Your Son.  May I risk as it all for You because of the amazing grace You have given to me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment