Friday, November 27, 2015

Love does not ALWAYS Respond Appropriately, Part 2

Scripture: Ruth 1:19-22
So they both went until they came to Bethlehem. And when they had come to Bethlehem, all the city was stirred because of them, and the women said, “Is this Naomi?”  She said to them, “Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me.  “I went out full, but the Lord has brought me back empty. Why do you call me Naomi, since the Lord has witnessed against me and the Almighty has afflicted me?”  So Naomi returned, and with her Ruth the Moabitess, her daughter-in-law, who returned from the land of Moab. And they came to Bethlehem at the beginning of barley harvest.

Insights:  Yesterday I told you we would specifically be looking at FBCBG and the vision proposal as it relates to this subject of not always responding appropriately.  The Strategic Planning Team (SPT) presented a very thorough presentation regarding our future.  As far as we can tell it is biblically grounded and kingdom motivated, but as I shared Sunday there are four groups of people in any change environment.  Technically, there are five groups, but the first group is the SPT which was the innovators who join when it is new, and we represented 2.5% of the people.  The second group are early adopters who join when they perceive a benefit and they represent 13.5% of the people.  The third group are the early majority who join when there is a productivity gain and they represent 34% of the people.  The fourth group is the late majority who join when there is plenty of help and support and they represent 34%.  These first four groups represent 84% of the people and most of these willfully join the vision at varying times.  There is a fifth group known as the laggards who join only when they have to and they represent the remaining 16%.  Of these laggards about 6% will join with great reluctance and a good bit of kicking and screaming, but there is about 10% who adamantly refuse through the entire process to jump on board willingly.  These are literally drug to join because they have no choice.  The majority has moved them to adopt this new initiative.  It is my personal opinion those who fall into the laggard group are acting like Mara.  They do not want to work for better days and more fruitful ministry, and as a result, they make quick and rash statements that become attached to their very identity and are unwilling to relinquish that poor attribute.  These laggards can even at times become hostile or intentional about trying to sway people to their line of thinking.  When it comes to our vision and direction, the reason I am bringing this up in today’s blog is because I want to encourage you to go home and pray about the vision the Lord has set before us.  Let FBCBG be the exception to the laggard role of adoption.  May we all desire to be a Ruth and be determined to see God do great things in our midst.

1.  Which of the four adoption categories do you fall under?
2.  What will it take for you to become an early adopter or majority and will you tell the Strategic Planning Team?

Prayer: Father, I pray you will bless the vision we since You have given to FBCBG.  May we quickly join You in Your work and may You be brought glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment