Wednesday, November 4, 2015

God is Powerful

Scripture: 2 Kings 1:9-12
Then the king sent to him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him, and behold, he was sitting on the top of the hill. And he said to him, “O man of God, the king says, ‘Come down.’”  Elijah replied to the captain of fifty, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.  So he again sent to him another captain of fifty with his fifty. And he said to him, “O man of God, thus says the king, ‘Come down quickly.’”  Elijah replied to them, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.

Insights:  I want you to keep the whole picture of this history in your mind.  Ahaziah has had an accident and has sent messengers to Ekron.  While they are on the way, Elijah stops them and tells them to go back to the king and tell him he is going to die.  Now, keep in mind this is the son of Ahab and Jezebel.  He is hot tempered and not afraid to have people executed.  Would you like to go back and deliver this message?  I doubt you would volunteer.  After Ahaziah discovers who gave the message, however, his attentions of revenge fall on him.  He sends a commander with fifty men to bring Elijah back with the intent, in my opinion, to kill him.  These men arrive and Elijah calls fire down from heaven and they are consumed.  Ahaziah sends a second commander with fifty men and they are also consumed by fire from heaven.  I believe what you see happening here is God preaching in a very literal sense to Ahaziah that He, God, is truly powerful.  He is telling Ahaziah, I am the supreme sovereign of the universe and I could have healed you if you had turned to me, but because you did not, you will die.  I think God is shouting through Elijah to Ahaziah, I AM GOD, NOT BAAL-ZEBUB.  Beloved, God desires to work powerfully in your life as well.  Our questions below are designed today to have you reflect on your understanding and relationship with the Lord God.  I pray you will take a few moments to truly contemplate the questions.  If after thinking about number one, you discover that it has been a while, then let me encourage you to run to Him and spend time with Him and ask Him to reveal Himself to you in a powerful way.  He will and you will have this truth of His power rekindled in your soul.

Questions:
1.  When was the last time God displayed His power in your life?
2.  In what way did He show Himself to be the supreme sovereign over the universe to you?


Prayer: Father, thank You that You are indeed the most powerful.  Please display Your favor and might in my life and let me point people to Your glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment