Friday, October 30, 2015

The Pity of God

Scripture: 1 Kings 21:27-29
It came about when Ahab heard these words, that he tore his clothes and put on sackcloth and fasted, and he lay in sackcloth and went about despondently.Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying, “Do you see how Ahab has humbled himself before Me? Because he has humbled himself before Me, I will not bring the evil in his days, but I will bring the evil upon his house in his son’s days.”

Insights:  In our final verses this week we see the pity of God.  After the judgment had been place on Ahab, notice how he responded.  Now, I don’t believe he repented, but I believe his actions reveal he did confess of his sins.  In my sermon I titled this sub point Guilt moves us to Confession and I explained to the church the difference between guilt and conviction.  I explained these two words are often used interchangeably, but they ought not.  I explained this because I was using the word guilt in the wrong way because of my issues with alliterations.  Briefly, guilt pushes us away from God and is a tool of satan.  Conviction draws us into God and is a tool of the Holy Spirit.  They do, however, feel similarly and that is why people confuse them so often.  Ahab, I believe, was upset about the judgment, not of the sin, in my opinion.  But he shows contrition which is why God responds with grace.  Grace moves God to have compassion on Ahab.  I am so grateful for God’s amazing grace.  If He withheld His grace, in what state would the universe, world, humanity, my state, my church, my family or even I be?  It would be horrific.  He constantly is bestowing grace in some form or fashion because He is God.  Yet the ultimate form of His grace was in the sending of His Son Jesus Christ to die on a cross for your sins and mine as well.  Beloved, display true repentance to the conviction of the Holy Spirit and then enjoy His amazing grace.  You will not be sorry you did.

Questions:
1.  In what area of your life are you experiencing God’s conviction regarding sin?
2.  In what ways are you able to testify to God’s amazing grace?


Prayer: Father, thank You that You display amazing grace to me.  I don’t deserve it, but am grateful to receive it.  Continue to make me sensitive to Your Spirit’s promptings in my life regarding sin and continue to grant me the courage to turn from sin and turn to You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment