Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Extremes of God's Love in Punishment

Scripture: Hosea 2:9-13
“Therefore, I will take back My grain at harvest time
And My new wine in its season.
I will also take away My wool and My flax
Given to cover her nakedness.
“And then I will uncover her lewdness
In the sight of her lovers,
And no one will rescue her out of My hand.
“I will also put an end to all her gaiety,
Her feasts, her new moons, her sabbaths
And all her festal assemblies.
“I will destroy her vines and fig trees,
Of which she said, ‘These are my wages
Which my lovers have given me.’
And I will make them a forest,
And the beasts of the field will devour them.
“I will punish her for the days of the Baals
When she used to offer sacrifices to them
And adorn herself with her earrings and jewelry,
And follow her lovers, so that she forgot Me,” declares the Lord.

Insights:   In today’s verses we observe four different punishments Hosea places on Gomer for her life of adultery.  The Father above also punishes us in and for these same four areas.  The first punishment is found in verse nine and it is in regards to Gomer’s provisions.  Basically, Hosea says, “I am done taking provisions over to that man’s house and letting him take the credit.  It is over!”  In regards to Israel, God sent a drought on them which took away their food supply/provisions.  In verse ten we see Hosea punish Gomer for her pride in her appearance and beauty.  God also punishes us for our own self-importance.  In verse eleven we observe Hosea punishing Gomer for her false piety.  In other words, she was still going to Shiloh to worship Yahweh, but her heart was really with the Baal’s.  Hosea stopped her from going to worship the Lord and making a mockery of God’s love for her.  The final two verse reveal Hosea’s punishment on Gomer’s pagan worship.  This final punishment is really the heart of all the other.  In today’s context we may no longer be worshipping a physical idol and giving to it what rightfully belongs to God, but we do worship other things.  Those things can be family, careers, hobbies, toys, etc.  Anything that we turn to in order to fill that void in our heart which was meant only for the Lord is an idol and the Lord will not share His glory.  Beloved, these are four areas in which the Lord disciplines us to bring us back into a right relationship with Him.
Questions:
1.  Has God placed you in the crucible of punishment for your rebellious attitude toward Him?
2.   Have you come to the place where you recognize God’s punishment on you is a form of His love?

Prayer: Father, it is difficult for me to thank You for punishing me when I am rebellious toward You, but I desire to be grateful.  I intellectually understand You are demonstrating Your love for me in times of discipline.  Help me to grow and receive such discipline with grace and dignity in order to bring You glory.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment