Friday, July 18, 2014

God's Word Teaches Patience and Lasts Forever

Scripture: Psalm 119:43-44
And do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
For I wait for Your ordinances.
So I will keep Your law continually,
Forever and ever.

Insights:  Today we learn two more aspects about God’s wonderful Word.  The first is how God’s Word teaches us patience.  Notice the posture of the psalmist as he seeks out God’s truth for his life.  He is in a posture of waiting.  Waiting is not something that comes naturally to us mere mortals.  We are a busy and fast passed people.  Yet, when we come to God’s Word, we slow down.  I think this very reality is one of the weapons with which Satan attacks us. He convinces us that we are too busy to slow down and spend time with the Lord in His Word.  We have to get out there and do the work of the Lord, but without having spent anytime with the Lord in His Word, we have absolutely NO power to live out the Word we are attempting to proclaim.  The second attribute regarding God’s Word we learn today is It’s eternality.  God’s Word lasts forever.  It is my opinion that in the book of Revelation when the Books are opened to judge people at the Great White Throne Judgment, it is the Bible that is being opened to judge the people.  This next thought is also my opinion about 1 Corinthians 13:12 which I think is often times misinterpreted.  It states, “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.”  How many times have you heard someone say, “When we get to heaven, we will understand it all.”  They then often times quote this verse and it is taught as if we will know everything in eternity.  The problem with this thought is there is only one infinite One and that is God.  There is only one who is omniscient and He is the Lord.  I think we learn throughout eternity and we grow in our knowledge of the Lord throughout all of our eternal existence.  I say all of these thoughts to say this: can you imagine how much of the nuances of the Bible will come to light to us when we no longer are hindered by our sin nature, which is about what I think 1 Corinthians 13:12 is really talking.

Questions:
1.  How patient of a person are you?
2.  Are you grateful God’s Word lasts forever?


Prayer: Father, thank You that Your Word lasts forever.  Help me to learn patience as I wait on a word from You as I read the Scriptures.  You are the only One with the eternal Words of Your love that can give me any kind of guidance or direction in my life.  Your Word is the tool Your Spirit uses to bring peace into my life as I learn patience from Your kind hand.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment