Monday, June 30, 2014

The Extremes of God's Love in Pain and Prevention

Scripture: Hosea 2:5-6
“For their mother has played the harlot;
She who conceived them has acted shamefully.
For she said, ‘I will go after my lovers,
Who give me my bread and my water,
My wool and my flax, my oil and my drink.’
“Therefore, behold, I will hedge up her way with thorns,
And I will build a wall against her so that she cannot find her paths.
Insights:   The two verses today cover two thoughts.  The first one deals with the pain Hosea must have felt as his wife, Gomer, bore him three children that were not his through her life of harlotry.  As a result of this life, Hosea had to purchase her off of the slave blocks for fifteen shekels of silver and a homer and a half of barley (3:2) three times.  I can only imagine the pain this caused him.  What we need to understand is that Hosea’s life is a literal living parable of God’s love for Israel (or we could even say of us because we all have played the part of the harlot in our relationship with God).  Yet, in spite of the pain we cause the Lord, He still loves us, just as Hosea loved Gomer.  The second thought is what Hosea did to prevent Gomer from getting away and running back to a life of harlotry.  He put a hedge of protection up for her and she ran right through it causing herself more pain and sorrow.  God does the same thing for us and we often times say, “I don’t care what God has done for me, I am going to run through this defense and have things my way.”  As we bust through the barricade we are injured but are too proud to humble ourselves and receive the healing we need from the Lord.  Gomer was just like this in her relationship with Hosea.  Beloved, today’s questions are reflective in regards to these two aspects of God’s amazing love.  I pray you will be honest with yourself and evaluate your life properly and recognize your sin and your rebellion.  Turn quickly back to the Lord and let Him heal your damaged life and bring joy back to your soul.  May your return bring Him glory!
Questions:
1.  In what ways have you recognized God’s demonstration of love toward you while you remained in your sin?
2. In what ways have you recognized God’s demonstration of prevention in your life?

Prayer: Father, I know I often times walk in the realm of sin and my adulteress relationship with this world causes You pain.  I am sorry for this rebellion.  Thank You for also putting up hedges of prevention to protect me from myself.  Forgive me for the times I have bursted through those defenses and caused myself more pain.  In the midst of it all, thank You for Your amazing love.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment