Friday, June 20, 2014

The Crop is Harvested

Scripture: 1 Kings 12:16-20
When all Israel saw that the king did not listen to them, the people answered the king, saying, “What portion do we have in David?  We have no inheritance in the son of Jesse; To your tents, O Israel!  Now look after your own house, David!”  So Israel departed to their tents. But as for the sons of Israel who lived in the cities of Judah, Rehoboam reigned over them. Then King Rehoboam sent Adoram, who was over the forced labor, and all Israel stoned him to death. And King Rehoboam made haste to mount his chariot to flee to Jerusalem. So Israel has been in rebellion against the house of David to this day.  It came about when all Israel heard that Jeroboam had returned, that they sent and called him to the assembly and made him king over all Israel. None but the tribe of Judah followed the house of David.
Insights:   Today’s verses reveal the full results of Rehoboam’s seed planting.  He reaped a harvest of division and rebellion.  His kingdom was split and it never again was restored under a unified monarchy.  I think we have beat this horse of we reap what we sow long enough this week.  Let me take a moment and rant on one of my soap boxes.  I want you to clearly know there is a difference between the biblical pattern of sowing and reaping verses the Hindu doctrine of Karma.  When Christians say, “Well that’s Karma for you,” they do not really know what they are saying.  The doctrine of Karma is one of the most vile and evil doctrines ever created by Satan to enslave a people.  We use the term to describe the thought as what goes around comes around and we use it very similarly to that of reaping what one sows.  The problem is Karma has to do with the entire concept of reincarnation and the caste system which so enslaves people in India.  In Karma doctrine, what I do in this life affects what and how I will come back in my next life.  So, if I did evil, then I come back in a poorer and more depraved state of humanity and I am getting exactly what I deserve.  As a result, people from different castes refuse to help those who are truly in need because they view those people as having gotten their just rewards through Karma.  This concept is evil and vile and ought not be used by Christians.  I encourage you to think twice before you say, “Well, that’s Karma for you.”
Questions:
1.  Are you surprised by your crop you are presently harvesting?
2.  Do you understand the difference between the biblical pattern of sowing and reaping verse
    the Hindu doctrine of Karma?

Prayer: Father, I know it is difficult for us to at times except the responsibility for our actions as human beings.  Help me to take full responsibility for my decisions and give me the courage to bear up well under the weight of my choices.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment