Monday, June 23, 2014

Desperation is a Major Motivator

Scripture: 2 Kings 7:3-5
Now there were four leprous men at the entrance of the gate; and they said to one another, “Why do we sit here until we die? If we say, ‘We will enter the city,’ then the famine is in the city and we will die there; and if we sit here, we die also. Now therefore come, and let us go over to the camp of the Arameans. If they spare us, we will live; and if they kill us, we will but die.” They arose at twilight to go to the camp of the Arameans; when they came to the outskirts of the camp of the Arameans, behold, there was no one there.
Insights:   Let me set up the scene for today’s verses.  The Arameans have laid siege to the city of Samaria.  The people are literally starving to death.  In fact, in the previous chapter we are told this horrific story of two women who agree to eat each others children over a couple of days.  Well king Joram is humbled by such a scene and he seeks out Elisha who informs him that the next day there would be deliverance.  Today’s verses begin the history of that deliverance from the Lord.  Notice how desperate these men are for food.  They recognize the reality of their deaths to such an extent they are willing to risk their very lives for food.  Their desperation motivates them to head toward the Aramean camp and surrender themselves for just a scrap of food.  Their rational is if they die, they die, because that is going to happen anyway if they stay where they currently are residing.  Beloved, this scene makes me think about our situations in life.  Most of ours are not so dramatic as these four lepers, but we have each had times of desperation in our lives.  I wonder if we are willing to respond to our situation with such reckless abandon as these four men did in their situation.  My prayer is that I would have that kind of desperation for the Lord God.  I would desire for Him to be my satisfaction in life.  I need Him just as much as those lepers needed food.  Beloved, whatever situation you are presently facing, the Lord is the only one that can truly minister to you.  As I so frequently say, run to Him.  Become desperate for Him.
Questions:
1.  For what are you desperate?
2.  Are you willing to take any action necessary, even at the risk of life, in order to have your desperation met?


Prayer: Father, am I desperate for You with this kind of intensity?  I fear the answer is no.  Forgive my self-centered heart and grow me in Your grace.  Help me to walk with You daily and intentionally.  Let my life bring You glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment