Thursday, September 8, 2016

Respond Wisely to the Lord

Photo by Chris Jackson
Scripture: Luke 10:36-37
“Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers’ hands?”  And he said, “The one who showed mercy toward him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do the same.”

Insights: Today we receive our final verses from the Samaritan parable. At the end of the parable Jesus asks the lawyer a question. After the lawyer answers correctly, Jesus tells him to go and do the same. The ending of the story implies a choice. We can either choose wisely by obeying the Father and showing mercy toward people or we can choose foolishly and be self centered in our focus. In many ways this kind of decision faces all people, whether a believer or a nonbeliever. In other words, are we going to treat our neighbors as we would have them to treat us or are we going to use them for our own advantages? It may appear we are getting ahead when we use people for our own advantages, but in the end we will truly learn the futility of such a way of life. Beloved, let me encourage you to choose wisely for the Lord. Treat people with compassion and mercy. Strive to live in unity especially among your brothers and sisters in Jesus. Let your example be a light in this dark world. It is my prayer the lost world will see the distinction in you and wonder why you are showing mercy and compassion. My prayer further is also that they will ask you the question as to why you are different. When that moment comes, I pray you are ready to share the hope of your salvation in Jesus Christ.

Questions:
1. What are some examples of times in which you have chosen to follow the Lord wisely?
2. What are some examples in which you failed to follow the Lord wisely?

Prayer: Father, my life is full of examples of foolish choices.  There are even a few examples of wise choices.  In the end, I have needed You to guide me out of my foolish endeavors, as well as, direct me in my wise opportunities.  Grant me Your peace regarding the decisions in front of me.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment