Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Grow from the Faith You have Experienced

Photo by eNrikeFot
Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:12
For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.

Insights: Over the past two days we have observed how we grow in faith as we observe the example of others. Our faith does not just grow from observing others, but we also have our faith grow because of our very own experiences. In today's verse we observe four areas in which we have experienced faith grow in our lives. The first one actually is the same as the first example of observing others and that is that we suffer for the gospel. The second aspect of our experience deals with our ability to not be ashamed of the gospel. The reason we are not ashamed of the gospel is because we know Jesus. This knowledge of Jesus is the third part of our experiences. When I say we know Him I am not talking about an intellectual pursuit. I am, rather, talking about an intimacy of knowledge. In other words, because I have spent time with Him, I know Him. This knowledge is very relational and it is not based on rules of conduct. To one who does not have a relationship with Jesus, this type of knowledge is foolishness to them. These people who do not have a relationship do not have the capacity to understand the faith we have in our Savior, Jesus. The last part of this experiential knowledge comes from the fact that we can trust in Jesus' power. Notice with me in today's verse that it is Jesus who guards or keeps our soul for eternity. We have entrusted our very lives to Him and as result we are convinced He is able to bring us to His heavenly home. So are eternal security is not dependent upon our faithfulness, but upon His and because He is trustworthy we can have full confidence and hope in our future glory with Him. Beloved, I pray you have experienced Jesus in this kind of fashion. May your faith grow daily as you pursue intimacy with the Savior.

Questions:
1. Are you ashamed of the gospel?
2. Do you authentically know Jesus?

Prayer: Father, I am grateful I know You.  May my relationship with You ever be before me and a world who observes my life.  My I hold fast to the power of Jesus who guards my eternity and grant me grace to share Your love.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment