Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Ministry for the Lord is Costly

Photo by Cheryl Colan
Scripture: Luke 10:33-35
“But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion, and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him.  “On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.’

Insights: In today’s versus we are introduced to the Samaritan. You need to understand Samaritans were considered to be the worst class citizen possible. The reason was because they were Jews whose ancestral parents had intermarried with the Assyrians. As a result, “good” Jews looked down upon these Samaritans. Yet, in our story, it is the Samaritan who shows compassion. It is not enough, however, only to have compassion. As a follower of Jesus Christ, we are called to go further. This extra work will often times result in a personal cost to us. When I use the word cost, I am not only referencing financial expenses. Sometimes the cost involves relationships or time. The point being, is that true ministry will cost us something. In the case of the Samaritan, it cost him time, resources, and money. Beloved, let me encourage you to count the cost in your service to Jesus. It is also my prayer that after having counted the cost you will have determined what ever the price is, it is worth it.  I would also encourage you to be like this Samaritan in today's story. Go through this world with your eyes open and when you see someone in need of compassion, display it to them. In living life this way you will exemplify the character of Christ and bring Him glory.

Questions:
1. What price have you had to pay for the cause of Jesus Christ?
2. Upon reflection, would you characterize the cost worth the end goal and why?

Prayer: Father, it is my prayer I may identify myself with Paul and say I have lived my life as a drink offering poured out for You.  May every drop of my life point to Your Son Jesus.  I thank You for Your offering to let me partner with You in Your work.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment