Tuesday, August 23, 2016

We Make Disciples of Believers

Photo by Citizen Schools Photo
Scripture: 2 Timothy 2:2
The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

Insights: I fear one of the greatest challenges facing the church today is found in today’s verse.  This Thoughts by Scott is not the first time I have written on this subject.  Rather, it is a theme about which I have often written.  In Luke 10, which I wrote about last week, we observed Jesus’ concern was the church not entering into the harvest field.  The Great Commission tells us to go and make disciples.  In today’s verse we are also instructed to pass on to faithful men what we have been taught.  This passing on process is the disciple making plan.  I think we are failing in this area as the church found in the United States.  Beloved, let me encourage you to be intentional about being discipled by someone more mature in the faith than you are.  At the same time, let me also encourage you to come along side someone who is more immature in their faith than you.  This concept of discipleship must be reclaimed in the church.  We must intentionally start sharing the gospel, growing new believers, and walking by faith all for the glory of God.  If the church can reclaim this foundational purpose of the church, we could literally change the face of the world just like the early followers of Jesus did.

Questions:
1. With whom are you entrusting the gospel through the discipleship process?
2. As you reflect on your life, who invested into your life?

Prayer: Father, thank You for those who have invested into my life and who have taught me more about Your grace.  May I be just as faithful and disciple those who come after me.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment