Friday, August 26, 2016

Draw Near to God in Times of Crisis

Photo by Jeff Kubina
It has been an interesting few days for me. Many things have transpired that have not caused my heart pleasure. They have ranged over a gambit of subjects. Some of the subjects have dealt with misunderstandings, legalism, family crisis, health issues, an intimacy with the Father. When seasons as these come crashing in like this it makes one question the intent and purpose of life. 

 These situations have driven me to my knees and I have turned my face to the One and only One who can fix the situations. In no way am I comparing my life to St. John of the Cross, but I am experiencing my own version of a dark night of the soul. As a result, I have pulled out this classic book in order to refresh my heart. Today I wish to give you a paragraph from the forward of this great classic.

“As the sole emerges from the dark night it has had to endure, a brilliant light awaits it, and the properties of this light include cleansing, purity, renewed vision, spiritual understanding, deep wisdom, and the warmth of union with God's love. This was what Saint John of the Cross was seeking, and it is what he ultimately found. In this since he represents every one of us who wants to experience the fullness of God's glory and leave the ways of the world behind. The Apostle Paul wrote: ‘Giving thanks unto the Father, which has made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son’ (Colossians 1:12–13). As you read Loves Living Flame, and Dark Night of the Soul, you will experience this same spiritual deliverance and be translated into the Kingdom of the Son of God—a glorious kingdom of light and love (Lloyd B. Hildebrand).

My heart longs for this “cleansing, purity, renewed vision, spiritual understanding, deep wisdom, and warmth of union with God's love.” Beloved, there really is a spiritual battle raging for the hearts of God’s people. Satan desires nothing more than to have us caught up in our own self or with the pettiness of this world. Let me encourage you to fight against the adversary. Do not let him have ground in your life, but rather draw near to God and He will draw near to you. The more intimate you are with the Father the more capable you are of resisting the devil. When you have indeed drawn near to God and the devil has fled because of God's presence, you will then experience and feel the presence of God's good embrace. It is my prayer that we the church learn to rely solely on the Lord God to be our defender and provider of our faith. May we then give Him all praise, honor and glory.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment